Friday, June 27, 2008

My blues man...

I just talked to Stephanie (daughter) on the phone. She returned from her combo trip to Idaho (for a trade show) and Utah. She was tired, but always upbeat. As I was conversing and finding out the latest and greatest with Kaitlin, dogs and fires, I had incredible background music from my husband, David. His talents never cease to amaze me. My parents bestowed us kids with love of music and it has never wavered with me. For years (still do) I would sing along with the radio, much to the dismay of my parents/children/innocent riders. Often I forget the words which doesn't make me a very good candidate to preform in front of someone. Oh yeah, and the words I forget I just make up something that sorta sounds like the lyric. Maybe that is a talent too!
David started playing the guitar when he was 10. His family on his dad's side all had some honky tonk tunes in their back pocket and gave him his first "geetar". His mom shared with me that sometimes David would come out of his room with bloody fingers from playing so much. That was in the beginning, and his dedication has never faltered. I really understand that passion, which makes it even sweeter in my appreciation. My cooking falls in that same spectrum. Everyone should have at least one thing in life that never gets old, never fades or goes away.
Tonight he is just playing simple notes and melodies that are familiar to me but on his new Seagull guitar sound so good.
He defines himself as a musician. Not a guy who plays instruments, but an ingrained title of artistry.
They say if you don't use your talents you lose your talents. Well the opposite must be true, if you indulge your talents and make them part of your life, they increase. That has been the truth for David.
Maybe it is not so important if he is acknowledged in the world, or have articles written about him, multiple albums sold. Yes, it might help pay the bills, but the price of "selling out" (not concerts) to the "man" would take its toll.
You see I have learned a lot about artists by living with David. Art for art's sake is truly a mantra for many. Just the idea of creative juices flowing is enough for some people. They don't need the accolades.
I have encouraged David's exploration of music worlds. I thought it would be great for him to write a children's album...of "Blues for the Babies". Kids surely must have a case of down and outs from time to time. Maybe that is what is meant by "spilt milk".
How about an acoustic version of hymns?
He calls his music "sinnin' music" which limits what he can play for Ward potlucks (inside joke). But for the most part, his music is a total reflection of his view on the world. That may sound depressing, but David is a thoughtful man. His thoughts are his way of reaching out and connecting with someone who may be going through hard times. I know he has very tender spots in his heart and singing about them somehow protects him from getting hurt. But for me to analyze him on this blog might just embarrass him. Either that or he will go into complete denial... regardless I truly love my husband...sinnin' music and all.

No comments: